Movie Book Adaptations Coming to Netflix in 2022 and Beyond
Netflix has had huge success in the past adapting popular works and that trend will continue. We’re here to walk you through many of Netflix’s upcoming book adaptations specifically made into movies slated for release in 2022 or beyond.
We last covered Netflix’s upcoming book adaptations in 2019 and there was a lot to cover back then, but now it’s gotten ridiculous! We’re just going to talk about book adaptations of confirmed movies and not TV shows (which we’ll cover in a separate article) or just the books Netflix has picked up (we’ll cover that separately too!).
From now on, we’ll be excluding comics in particular (with one notable exception) from this list, as we’ve already covered them in a separate preview article.
Coming to Netflix: 2022
Andrew Dominik’s Blonde has been in the works for a very long time, being adapted from Joyce Carol Oates’ novel about a fictionalized version of the life of Hollywood actress and model, Marilyn Monroe.
The gray man
Coming to Netflix: July 2022
Netflix’s big movie of the summer directed by the Russo Brothers is, in fact, based on a novel and pretty iconic too. We are of course referring to the book written by Mark Greaney.
The film, which is slated to hit Netflix on July 22, is one of Netflix’s biggest to date with a budget of $200 million.
Mr. Harrigan’s phone
Ryan Murphy teams up with Jason Blum to adapt this short story from Stephen King. It’s a horror movie set to hit Netflix later in 2022 (likely for Halloween).
It is set to star Donald Sutherland, Jaeden Martell and Joe Tippett and is adapted by John Lee Hancock.
Previously in development at 20th Century Fox, this adaptation of Noelle Stevenson’s novel Nimona (which was a webcomic before it was a novel) was apparently lost after the studio behind the title shut down.
Then the news came in early 2022 that Netflix would relaunch the project and release it as an exclusive.
The animated feature, directed by Nick Bruno and Troy Quane, is about a troublemaking young shapeshifter who is the sidekick of supervillain Lord Ballister Blackheart and together work to stop Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and the Institution of Law. Enforcement and Heroics.
Set to be a modern adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel Persuasion, this film comes from MRC with Dakota Johnson and Henry Golding playing the roles of Anne Elliot and Mr. Elliot respectively.
It is slated for release in July 2022 and has received a lot of hype.
Adam Sandler will play Jakub in this sci-fi adventure film which adapts the Czech book by Jaroslav Kalfar, bohemian spaceman.
Not expected to hit Netflix until 2023, the film is about an orphan boy who grew up in the Czech countryside and overcomes all odds to become his country’s first astronaut.
Alongside Sandler, Paul Dano, Carey Mulligan and Isabella Rossellini will star.
David Fincher will bring to life this adaptation of Alexis Nolent’s comic book series which is available as a full graphic novel (hence why we can include him in this list) and will star Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton.
The plot of the globetrotting film revolves around an assassin who begins to snap as he develops a conscience while hunting his prey and wants to get out.
The wonderful story of Henry Sugar
One of many Roald Dahl adaptations in the work is a Wes Anderson-directed live-action film that will star Benedict Cumberbatch, Dev Patel, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley.
McG directs this adaptation of Scott Westerfeld’s novel with writing by Krista Vernoff.
Here’s what you can expect from the film, which wrapped filming in late 2021:
“Set in an Orwellian future in which teenagers undergo surgery on their 16th birthdays to become like fashion models, the story follows Tally Youngblood – an ‘ugly’ teenager forced by the authorities to give up on her transformation until that she infiltrates The Smoke, a community of rebels who choose to maintain their appearance and live outside of normal society.
More Book Adaptations Coming Soon to Netflix
- 13: The Musical – Coming-of-age adaptation of Robert Horn’s novel about a young boy who moves from New York to a small town in Indiana.
- A woman’s guide to selling – Romantic comedy adaptation directed by Meg Ryan based on the novel by Sally Franson.
- In the west, nothing is new – Based on the novel by Erich Maria Remarque and a remake of the 1930 film adapted by Universal Pictures, this is a German-language adaptation coming exclusively to Netflix.
- Black brother, black brother – An adaptation of the coming-of-age novel by Jewell Parker Rhodes.
- dark samurai – Action adaptation by Addictive Pictures based on the book by Marc Olden.
- Caste: the origins of our discontent – Based on the book by Isabel Wilkerson, ARRAY by Ava DuVernay will take care of this adaptation.
- Dangerous Liaisons – French romance adapted from Choderlos De Laclos and released in July 2022.
- Dial A for Aunties – Adapted from Dial A for Aunties (Aunties #1) by Jesse Q. Sutanto
- missing dog – Rob Lowe will headline this family drama. Based on the book by Pauls Toutonghi.
- Ehrengard – A Danish film adaptation of Karen Blixen’s novel.
- West exit – Obama’s Higher Ground Productions and the Russo Brothers AGBO are working on a film adaptation of Mohsin Hamid.
- Family leave – Family comedy based on the book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal starring Jennifer Garner.
- Happiness for beginners – A romantic comedy adaptation of the Katherine Center novel that will star Ellie Kemper and Luke Grimes.
- Hello, goodbye and everything else – Adapted from the novel by Jennifer E. Smith, this teen romance flick from ACE Entertainment is about a young couple retracing their relationship before they broke up and headed off to college. Coming in July 2022.
- High in the clouds – Animated feature film based on Paul McCartney’s book.
- I’m not your perfect Mexican girl – LatinX adaptation of Erika Sanchez’s book.
- Ivy & Bean – A children’s adaptation of the illustrated book series by Annie Barrows which plans to have several entries over the years.
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover – Coming from Sony to Netflix exclusively, this adaptation of DH Lawrence starring Emma Corrin.
- leave the world behind – Sam Esmail will adapt this mystery novel published by Rumaan Alam for Netflix.
- Love & Gelato – Directed by Brandon Camp, this new romance film adapts Jenna Evans Welch’s novel. Coming in June 2022.
- The luckiest girl in the world – Starring Mila Kunis, this thriller is adapted from the novel by Jessica Knoll. Knoll will also be involved in the adaptation to writing the screenplay. Expected release in 2022.
- Matilda – Another Roald Dahl adaptation coming to Netflix in December 2022.
- Offering to the Storm – Netflix is about to distribute in certain regions this Spanish adaptation of the book by Dolores Redondo.
- Ball Ground – An adaptation of Michael Powell’s Canyon Dreams: A Basketball Season on the Navajo Nation.
- Snow Society – A foreign language adaptation of Pablo Vierci’s book that documents the story of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 which crashed in the Andes.
- electrical condition – Previously at Universal, this film is gearing up to adapt the illustrated novel by Simon Stålenhag and plans to move to Netflix.
- The good nurse – This big-budget movie (around $30 million) will star Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastain adapting Charles Graeber’s novel first released in 2013.
- The magician’s elephant – An animated feature adapting the children’s book by Kate DiCamillo.
- The Girls of Netherfield – A contemporary update of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
- pale blue eye – Christian Bale will be the headliner of this adaptation of Louis Bayard’s novel.
- The School of Good and Evil – Slated for release in September 2022, this fantasy film adapts Soman Chainani’s book franchise.
- The selection – Kiera Cass’ teen romance novel is in development at Netflix, but its status is unknown.
- The statistical probability of lightning strike – Another Ace Entertainment adaptation of a novel by Jennifer E. Smith that will star Jameela Jamil and Ben Hardy.
- wonderment – Adaptation of Emma Donoghue’s novel as a romantic period play.
- tree horn – Animated adaptation of the book by Florence Parry Heide directed by Ron Howard.
- true spirit – An adaptation of Jessica Watson’s biography True Spirit: The Aussie Girl who Take on the World.
- White noise – Considered unsuitable until then, Noah Baumbach will give the best of himself. Based on Dom DeLillo’s 1986 novel.
Did we miss any major book adaptations in the works at Netflix? Let us know in the comments below.