Think this is a neat project? Want to get involved? Just drop us an email at: contact@MonroeSwifts.org
You can help in several ways:
- Become a counter at Frank Wagner – We are always on the lookout for folks that want to stand around rain or shine with their eyes fixed on counting little swifts as they fly into the chimney. Sound fun? (Believe it or not, it does to some of us…) No expertise required – you will be trained.
- Become a docent – On Swift Night Out and also throughout the fall and spring migration, we need volunteers to be present at Frank Wagner during the evening to help answer basic questions for the public. No expertise required – you will be trained.
- Help count along the flyway – Don’t live near Monroe, but still think this is a neat project? Our very own Dr. Swift – Larry Schwitters – is organizing counts from British Columbia to Mexico, via the Vaux’s Happening website. No expertise required – you will be trained.
- Help identify (and save!) more “pearls” of chimneys – We are always on the lookout for other roosting sites (chimneys or otherwise) along the flyway. These can be in dense urban settings (e.g., downtown LA), in towns large and small, or out in rural areas. If you think you know of a possible roosting site, let us know. Many of these old chimneys are considered “worthless” to others – but we know they aren’t!
- Advocate for the birds – Tell your state legislators, tell your Rotary Clubs, tell your friends and neighbors that swifts are a wonderful part of our world and that we need to work to preserve their habitat – both natural (e.g., big snags and healthy forests) and human-made (e.g., old chimneys).
- Support our efforts – We are a fully volunteer-driven effort. Any and all donations to our project will go directly to education, conservation and enjoyment of the Vaux’s Swifts at Frank Wagner Elementary and along the flyway. You can make a tax-deductible contribution to the “Pilchuck Audubon – Vaux’s Swift Account,” via our secure online form, or by sending a check to:
Pilchuck Audubon – Vaux’s Swift Account
1429 Avenue D • PMB 198 • Snohomish, WA 98290