As many know, we were concerned that the chimney at Frank Wagner might pose an earthquake risk to the kids in the school. We wanted to be sure the kids were safe and the chimney was preserved for the swifts.
So we asked for and received $100,000 from the state legislature for a chimney earthquake retrofit, which ended up looking like $50,000 less than was needed. But the Monroe School District Operations personnel had the know-how – and the bricks used in 1939 had the true grit – to eventually pull this off. It’s all done now, $15,000 under budget, and it even looks great. Let the “Big One” come.